Call for scholarship application of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade of Hungary for the Hungarian Language and Cultural Studies Programme in the academic year of 2023/2024
Note: This document has been prepared in English as complementary material to the official Hungarian language call-for-application. In case of doubt, please refer to the original version and/or contact us.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade of Hungary (hereunder (MFA) based on the 241/2016. (VIII.16.) Government Decree and the 11/2022. (IX. 6.) MFA Order on the Organizational and Operational Rules of the MFA, within the Balassi Scholarship Programme with Márton Áron Scholarship invites applications from individuals of Hungarian descent living in the Northern Hemisphere’s Diaspora outside the Carpathian Basin who wish to strengthen their language knowledge and cultural identity in the academic year of 2023/2024 for the
HUNGARIAN LANGUAGE AND CULTURAL STUDIES PROGRAMME.
1. THE GOAL OF THE APPLICATION
The application provides an opportunity to participate in Hungarian Language and Cultural Studies training as a scholarship holder.
The objective of the Hungarian Language and Cultural Studies scholarship is to improve and broaden the Hungarian language skills and knowledge related to Hungary of young people of Hungarian descent, who are citizens and residents of other countries (the so-called “Diaspora”). The two-semester course takes place in Budapest with the cooperation of an institution providing adult education, the KKM Magyar Diplomáciai Akadémia Kft., (hereunder KKM MDA Kft). To successfully achieve the goals of the scholarship program, the MFA cooperates with the member organizations of the Hungarian Diaspora Council, especially with the organizations promoting youth community building, such as the Hungarian Scout Association in Exteris.
2. THE OBJECT OF THE APPLICATION
The programme consists of Hungarian language and cultural studies and provides an opportunity for participants to actively explore Hungary and living Hungarian culture. In the framework of cultural studies, students learn about history, literature, geography, ethnography, art history, and social studies. At the end of the cultural studies programme, students take a final exam (depending on their language level) on a chosen topic, defend their final essay. The applicant undertakes to take the Hungarian language exam officially recognized by the Hungarian state at the end of the academic year. (The level and type of the language exam and the amount of the examination fee depends on the decision of the language skills assessment committee.)
Participants of the adult education programme will receive a certification at the end of their successful studies.
Class attendance is compulsory. Should a participant miss classes without cause, or violate the Scholarship/Training Agreement, he/she will lose immediately the right to continue the programme and the right to dormitory placement. Any individual who has been expelled from the programme will have to repay all stipend (monthly allowance) received up to that date as set out in the signed scholarship agreement.
3. THE LENGTH AND THE CONTENT OF THE SCHOLARSHIP
The duration of the programme is 10 months (September 2023 – June 2024).
The scholarship includes:
- full tuition fee
- HUF 45,000/month allowance (to be paid monthly)
- free accommodation
- student card (offering discounts)
- basic health services
Maximum number of scholarships to be awarded: 25
4. CONDITIONS OF THE APPLICATION
The application is open to individuals of Hungarian origin who have reached the age of 18 at the start of the training. Age limit is 35 years. All applicants should have foreign citizenship, those with dual citizenship (Hungarian and other) are also encouraged to apply. Volunteer work in foreign Hungarian communities (scouting, folk dance, Hungarian school, Hungarian church, etc.) and in other Hungarian civil communities, and university recommendation, furthermore any other activities related to Hungarian culture, art or any field are all taken into consideration in the selection of the applicants. The scholarship application for the 2023/2024 academic year is mainly for the northern hemisphere countries applicants.
5. DEADLINE OF APPLICATIONS
Deadline of applications: 19 April 2023, 24.00 (UTC+1)
6. INFORMATION ON THE SUBMISSION AND EVALUATION OF THE APPLICATION
Steps of application:
1. Application website
Applications are to be submitted via the application website https://spjelentkezes.mdakft.hu
Please visit the site, prepare and submit your application according to the information provided there.
2. Required documents
Required documentation and references for the application:
- signed statement of the applicant (format: .pdf) [mandatory document]
- CV (format: .doc, docx) [mandatory document]
- an approx. 300-word essay on why you would like to study in Hungary and how can utilize acquired knowledge in your home country (format: .doc, docx) [mandatory document]
- copy of passport (non-Hungarian) or other travel document entitling to travel to and from home country (format: .pdf) [mandatory document]
- copy of transcripts and diplomas (including study results) (format: .pdf) [mandatory document]
- reference letter from a social organization (eg. scouts, school, foundation, church, etc.) or a recognized individual (format: .pdf) [recommended document]
Evaluation of the Application
The Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade (responsible for operating the scholarship) makes decisions on the applications based on the proposal of the Evaluation Committee set up by MFA. The decision is binding on all applicants.
MFA will not consider applications submitted after the deadline and/or incorrectly and/or incompletely and/or illegibly. Missing application documents cannot be replaced.
Publication of the results
Applications will be evaluated by 9 May 2023 and applicants will be notified about the results within 3 workdays afterwards via e-mail.
Successful applicants must confirm the acceptance of the scholarship via e-mail at the latest by 15 May 2023.
The scholarship does not cover the following expenses:
- travel to and from Hungary
- language exam fee (approx. HUF 45.000)
- spending money
- the fee of type “Other Purpose” visa, if necessary
7. CONDITIONS OF WINNING AND OBTAINING THE SCHOLARSHIP
- Signing Scholarship Agreement and Training Agreement with the KKM MDA Kft.
- Any applicant providing unreal, false information on the datasheet, and/or making such a statement when applying, and/or withholding any fact or data concerning the assessment of the application may be excluded from the application procedure.
- Participation in the application or winning the scholarship does not preclude the applicant from participating in the application of the Hungarian Diaspora Scholarship Program (DFP) in November 2023.
- By submitting their application, applicants consent to the processing of their data on the application form by the MFA, by the decision-shaping bodies and decision-makers defined above for the time necessary for the decision – but not later than 15 September 2023.
- The list of scholarship winners is public. By participating in the application, the applicant agrees that his/her name and nationality will be published on the website of the MFA if s/he is awarded a scholarship by the MFA.
- The applicant acknowledges that, because of the epidemiological situation, the MFA may postpone the pre-planned start date of the Hungarian Language and Cultural Studies Programme (4 September 2023) and/or apply distance learning methods in the training, or in a serious situation may refuse to start the training, may decide to suspend the training and continue it after the suspension has been lifted, and may decide to apply a training period shorter than it is determined in this call for application. The applicant acknowledges that the implementation of professional programmes depends on the evolution of the epidemic situation and related rules. The applicant undertakes that in the event of the occurrence of any of the above circumstances s/he does not file a claim for damages against the MFA or KKM MDA Kft. regarding this circumstance.
- The scholarship holder undertakes – if it is obligatory according to current Hungarian legislation and the regulations concerning the scholarship programme – to take part in the health screening test organised by the MFA and/or KKM MDA Kft. after enrolling in the training. The scholarship agreement is terminated, if, as a result of this screening test prescribed by the doctor performing the screening test, the applicant receives a „not recommended agreement for training from medical point of view” result, or the applicant refuses to carry out the screening test.
8. FINANCIAL SOURCE OF THE PROGRAMME
Act XXV of 2022 on the central budget of Hungary for 2023, Annex 1, Chapter XVIII, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Title 7, Chapter 7, Chapter 1, Appropriations, Article 33, Scholarships and other training programmes for foreigners. Act on State Finances NO: 381084
Amount: 168.290.832 HUF
For further information please contact:
Ms Charlotte Hársi-Dömötör (Hungarian Scouts Association in Exteris)
Mr Gábor Szórád (Hungarian Scouts Association in Exteris)
Ms Tünde Sasvári
Phone: +36 70 777 8552
Frequently Asked Questions
All questions are available here:
Hungarian Language and Cultural Studies FAQ