As a scholarship holder, can I go to the family doctor for free if I am ill?

Scholarship holders may apply for social security (TAJ) card, which provides free basic health care services. However, the application process can take longer, so in the case of a chronic illness, we recommend taking out individual health insurance before travelling to Hungary.

Please note that citizens of the European Union and some other states (e.g. Ukraine, Serbia, and Turkey) are prohibited from double insurance, so they can only apply for Hungarian social security service if they resign from their home social security legal relation.

Was this helpful?